[DAS] Bio::Das 0.59

Titus Brown titus@caltech.edu
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:38:56 -0800

->  > At the moment I'm writing all my stuff in Jython & taking advantage
->                                              ^^^^^^
->                          Is this a typo, or Python-running-on-the-JVM?

www.jython.org -- Python running on the JVM.

It's really fun ;).  You get complete access to the Java libraries & Java
classes as if they were Python modules, but in an interpreted rather than
in a compiled setting.  Jython code tends to be about 1/2 the size of Java
code, and you don't have to worry about types as much.  I think it's perfect
for middling-size Java programs (~15,000 lines or so).

The only downside is that you can't use any non-Python-native modules from
the (C)Python distribution.  Oh, and Java is *really* slow, and Jython is
even slower.

--titus