[DAS] Re: Our identifier doc and proposal

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:09:28 -0500

Of course, maybe "gene" shouldn't be there at all.  WormBase doesn't
have genes, just transcripts and mutant loci.

Ewan Birney writes:
 > On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Lincoln Stein wrote:
 >
 > > I think we're going to find that the features form a DAG and not a
 > > hierarchy.  Otherwise you're going to have problems classifying things
 > > like "genes".  In the context of genetics, a gene is a type of
 > > complementation group.  In the context of genomics, a gene is a
 > > subclass of transcription features, translation features, and
 > > regulatory features.
 > >

 > Bugger.
 >
 > You are right. I'm glad you are going to sort out how to have an
 > extensible distributed DAG system that is easy to use. ;)

lstein@cshl.org			                  Cold Spring Harbor, NY

NOW HIRING BIOINFORMATICS POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS AND PROGRAMMERS.
PLEASE WRITE FOR DETAILS.