[DAS] Re: Our identifier doc and proposal

Chris Mungall cjm@fruitfly.bdgp.berkeley.edu
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:07:03 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> If you have four different similar but not identical ontologies expressed in
> DAML+OIL, how does a third party provide the equivalence relationships?  Do
> you envision him providing an equivalence apping for each of the 6 pairs, or
> mapping them all to a single common ontology?

The all by all approach would rapidly get out of hand. I think your idea
of mapping to a skeleton ontology is best. One can imagine all kinds of
different toplogies but that would be getting ahead of ourselves. The
important point is that the level of conformance should be optional.