[DAS] System requirements

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:35:55 -0500

Dazzle is a Java-based library that provides DAS services.  You need a
Java runtime, the Biojava library, and a web servlet engine such as
Apache/Jakarta. It uses a plugin architecture which lets you plug in
the following underlying databases:

    1) EMBL flat files
    2) GFF flat files
    3) Mysql using the Ensembl data model

LDAS is a Perl-based library that provides DAS services.  You need
Perl, the Bioperl library, and a web server such as Apache/Jakarta.
It also uses a plugin architecture for the underlying database, but
there is only one production-ready module at the current time:

    1) Mysql using the Bio::DB::GFF data model (relationalized GFF)

I don't have direct experience of the hardware requirements for
Dazzle, but LDAS runs fine on the following configuration:

	Pentium/450 laptop
	256 Megs RAM
	10 gig hard disk
	Linux operating system

This is for a database that combines the C. elegans annotations (5.9
million features), the D. melanogaster annotations (1.2 million) and
yeast (13,000).

I think the choice boils down to whether you feel more comfortable
with Java or with Perl.  Also whether you prefer the benefits of the
full-featured Ensembl data model or the simplicity of Bio::DB::GFF.

Lincoln