[Bosc-announce] OBF Newsletter November 2019

Yo Yehudi yoyehudi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 22:30:58 UTC 2019

*Having trouble viewing this email or looking for a permalink? View this
newsletter in your browser
<https://github.com/OBF/newsletter/blob/master/newsletters/2019-11.md>.*

*This email was sent to the email to the bosc-announce
<http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bosc-announce/> and
lists.*
OBF Newsletter November 2019

This newsletter is chock-full of OBF updates. For a TL;DR version: read &
comment on our affiliated project policy
<https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/pull/44> and code of conduct plans
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/11/15/creating-an-obf-wide-code-of-conduct/>
by December 1st, join our public board meeting on the 17th of December
<https://github.com/OBF/org/issues/2>, and respond to our vision and
mission survey <https://forms.gle/vcswCggr11SAMJdH9>.

In longer form:
OBF NewsPublic board meeting and officer elections

Several of our board members’ terms run out this year, so we’ll be holding
a public board meeting on the 17th of December, at 16:00 UTC (11am EST, 8am
PST). The meeting will be held remotely, via conference call. As a public
meeting, everyone is welcome to attend. Dial-in information and agenda will
be posted on our blog (and also on Github
<https://github.com/OBF/org/issues/2>).
Community’s Vision and Mission statements

Please participate in our vision and mission survey
<https://forms.gle/vcswCggr11SAMJdH9> project.

Since 2000, the OBF community has grown organically with volunteers like
you, who support a number of bioinformatics projects all across the globe.
With our current member projects and a growing community, we would like to
update our community’s *vision and mission statement*.

We’d like to learn how well we’re serving the community and what else we
could be doing to help you out. We can’t do this without your feedback,
opinions, and insights. Please share your response
<https://forms.gle/vcswCggr11SAMJdH9> with us by *15 January 2020*.
Adopting a code of conduct

In order to promote a healthy, friendly, and diverse community, we would
like to agree upon a code of conduct (CoC) for our online interactions,
face-to-face events, and for our member projects as well as OBF/BOSC
directly. We’ve been thinking of basing ours on the CoC of The Carpentries
- let us know what you think by December 1st, or read more about our plans
on the OBF blog
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/11/15/creating-an-obf-wide-code-of-conduct/>.
Becoming an OBF Affiliated Project

The OBF hosts multiple member organisations under the Bio* umbrella,
including Biopython, BioPerl, BioJava, BioSQL, BioDAS, and BioRuby. Ever
wondered whether your project might benefit from being under the OBF
umbrella, and how to get there?

Thanks to a big push at the 2019 CoFest in Basel, a years-long effort to
formalize how budding (or well established) open-source projects can become
an OBF affiliated (or “member”) project is now entering final draft stage.
Concurrently with final review by the Board, we are asking the community to
submit comments by November 29.

The policy document has from the beginning been developed as a pull request
on the OBF documents repository <https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/pull/44>.
Public comments can simply be posted there. If you prefer to submit
comments confidentially, please email the Board <board at open-bio.org>.

What’s next? After final revisions prompted by community comments and Board
review, the final draft will be submitted for a formal vote of approval to
both the Board, *and* the OBF membership. We aim to accomplish this before
the end of this year.
OBF Travel Fellowships

We are accepting applications for the next round
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/11/14/obf-travel-fellowship-december-2019/>,
with a deadline of *1 December 2019*. We’ve also made a few changes to the
fellowship program for 2020 - the call will be opened twice instead of
three times next year, and events will be eligible if they run in a one
year window after each application deadline. Read this post
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/11/14/obf-travel-fellowship-schedule/> for
more details.
The OBF has a new board member!

At the public board meeting at BOSC this year, Malvika Sharan was
unanimously voted to join as a member of the Board of Directors. Welcome,
Malvika! Read more on the OBF blog
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/08/17/malvika-sharan-elected-to-obf-board/>.
BOSC 2019 Report

BOSC 2019 <https://www.open-bio.org/2019/08/01/meeting-report-bosc-2019/>
took place in Basel, Switzerland, July 24-25, as part of ISMB/ECCB 2019.
The talks were recorded, and most of the videos are live on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmX8XnLr6zeHofbRXbVg0vShC5RwuElj4>.
An overview of the meeting was published online in this blog
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/08/01/meeting-report-bosc-2019/>.
BOSC 2020 will be with Galaxy again as BCC2020!

We all loved GCCBOSC in 2018, so we’re excited to be back with the Galaxy
community again in 2020. This time, it’s branded as BCC - Bioinformatics
Community Conference - it’ll be in Toronto. Visit the BCC (mostly
placeholder) site <https://bcc2020.github.io/>.
Google Summer of Code

“Flip bits not burgers” - Google Summer of Code (GSoC) pays students to
work on open source projects between May and August. Under the umbrella of
the OBF, students from around the world worked on BioD, Sambamba, BioJS,
antiSMASH, and the Journal of Open Data Publications. Read more about all
of the projects and view the code on the Google Summer of Code site
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5857327278718976/>.
Community updatesSupercharge your open projects

Interested in learning how to run a life science project openly, or know
someone who does? Two mentoring programs (one tech platforms focused, one
academia focused) are accepting applications until December 8th
<https://www.open-bio.org/2019/11/12/supercharge-your-open-project-with-leadership-training/>
.
Interesting links

   - Do you know someone in academia who struggled with their mental
   health, and needed support? Spend a few minutes sharing your experiences
   in supporting them <https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/eLifeMHsurvey>. The
   survey is run by eLife and closes November 24.
   - The ISCB now has a prize for student software
   <https://www.iscb.org/the-iscb-student-software-prize> - aimed at
   student ISCB members who create excellent bioinformatics software. The
   prize will be awarded annually and the first round of results will be
   announced soon.
   - Cite.as <http://citeas.org> is a web-based tool to make it easy to
   figure out how to cite anything, whether it’s preprint, a GitHub repo, a
   paper, or something else.

Your content needed for the next issue!

Tell us about the things that catch your attention in the open source
bioinformatics world! If you have an exciting project update, request for
feedback, or interesting link, feel free to share it with us on GitHub
<https://github.com/OBF/newsletter/issues/11>, or contact Yo Yehudi (Twitter:
@yoyehudi <https://twitter.com/yoyehudi>, Email: yochannah at gmail.com
<yochannah at gmail.com>) if you’re not sure whether or not your content is
suitable for our newsletter - we’re looking for content that’s primarily
open source / science related.