[BioSQL-l] State of BioSql?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:19:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM, David Wilbur <wildboar at workwerks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am working on a project that sees potential uses for BioSql. (which
> we would be, if chosen, using with a current version of ruby, bioruby,
> rails and postgres)
>
> i am mostly interested in the state of the project, it appears to have
> no changes since 2008.

No releases of BioSQL itself for a while I grant you, but the most recent
change was last week https://github.com/biosql/biosql/commits/master
(an update for the MySQL schema), and a year ago an SQLite schema
was added.

I'd like to see another point release (to ship the SQLite schema) but
it needs someone with Perl expertise to update the misc BioSQL
Perl scripts. Adding support for BioSQL on SQLite to BioPerl etc
would also be great (currently only available in Biopython I think).

When you say no changes since 2008 are you talking about a
particular Bio* binding for BioSQL?

> ruby, bioruby, and postgres, have both changed a lot since that time.
> eg: http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biosql-l/2011-November/001795.html
> has this better solution for transactions been worked on? and so on...

Good question - Biopython has some special case code to cope
under PostrgreSQL with and without those special case rules
needed under BioPerl.

Peter