[BioSQL-l] What should source_term_id in table seqfeature refer to?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Aug 15 14:29:24 UTC 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 6:44 AM, Richard Holland wrote:

> [...]
> What I mean is this:
>
>  1. The sequence itself could be downloaded from Genbank, EMBL, or
> elsewhere, or I could have discovered it in-house.

That's actually what I meant.

>  2. The features on the sequence could have been generated by
> running BLAST, miRBase, etc., or they could be manually annotated.
>  3. The features on the sequence could have been downloaded from
> Genbank, EMBL, etc., or they could have been made locally, or by a
> collaborator at another institute.

Right, but if a feature is the result of you running some algorithm
against some sequences, then it's not been downloaded or given to you.
Features on one and the same sequence can have different sources,
obviously, so I'm a bit confused - I think we're talking about the
same thing in different words, but I'm not sure.