[BioSQL-l] PhyloDB module updates

aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com
Thu Feb 14 15:32:47 UTC 2008

> > Though speaking of which, what has been bugging me lately is that
> > they only provide for a single taxonomy to be used (presumably the
> > one from NCBI, since one column expressly refer to the
> > NCBI_taxon_ID. I've been thinking about suggesting to generalize
> > that a little, but the backwards compatibility issues might just
> > outweigh the benefits.

One approach would be to reuse the existing ontology framework (and
perhaps include a NCBI-taxonomy-specific "view" to recapitulate the
existing taxon tables).  This would have the added advantage of allowing
DAG-like taxonomies.  "taxon_id" foreign keys would then instead be
"term_id" (too bad there's no such thing as column-level aliases/views).

-Aaron