[BioSQL-l] BioSQL and ontology "standards".

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:14:37 UTC 2008

On 04/12/2008 15:04, "Peter" <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
>> With apologies if I'm misinterpreting the tide of discussion, but I would be
>> disappointed to see a default behaviour of "bung everything under
>> 'Annotation Tags', typos and all" become a 'standard' of any sort, rather
>> than a placeholder for future development of ontology-aware Bio* code that
>> queries and populates BioSQL appropriately.
>
> Overall, I agree.  It isn't ideal, but the current ad-hoc "ontology"
> is useful in that its looseness allows any parsable GenBank file to be
> imported into the database.

I think that this may be a matter of perspective: you see an advantage, I
see an accident waiting to happen ;)

>> I see the situation as pretty much analogous to the effective requirement
>> for NCBI taxon data in BioSQL, when using Biopython: you need to load in the
>> NCBI taxon data before your own data can be imported in a taxon-aware
>> manner.
>
> This is going off topic, but that's not really true any more.

Ah... Good point - my bad.

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by
guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views
expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its
subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential

to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been
addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this

confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on
this
e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the
name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan
the email and the attachments (if any).