[BioSQL-l] license

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Sep 30 22:24:55 UTC 2007

I realized that BioSQL is licensed under "the same terms as Perl
itself", and then references the Perl Artistic License.

First of all, Perl has changed its licensing terms to allow the GPL
as an alternative, and the Artistic License for Perl will be upgraded
to v2.0.

Aside from all that, I'm not sure that it makes all that much sense
to couple the license terms to those of Perl. Maybe a more technology-
neutral license would be more appropriate, such as the GPL alone,
LGPL, or simply MIT (or new BSD) license. Or just the Artistic
Licence v2.0?

LGPL: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php
MIT: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
BSD: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
Artistic 2.0: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-
license-2.0.php

No action is probably not an option (b/c issues with Artistic v1.0
and changes in Perl licensing). Any thoughts, opinions?