[BioSQL-l] Description

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Tue Sep 11 15:49:45 UTC 2007

Well, the schema is the formal specification as to what goes where
and as long as your BioJava and BioPerl DB interface plays by the
rules of the schema, then yes you should be able to use both
languages on the same database.  Of course the devil is in the
details and since I've only worked with the BioPerl interface I don't
know if that is in fact reality right now.  I think what Richard
meant was there is not detailed human documentation about where each
bit of a GenBank record goes into what table and column.  Paul, I
think you will find this document to be what you are looking for - or
at least as good as you'll get:  go to http://cvs.open-bio.org/cgi-
bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biosql-schema/doc/?cvsroot=biosql and look
for schema-overview.txt.  There is also a ERD in pdf format which can
help you get your head around the schema.  If you end up with
specific questions about what's where, send another e-mail or just
load some files and go exploring.

Barry