[BioSQL-l] BioSQL and GBrowse

Genevieve DeClerck gad14 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 13 21:24:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to get GBrowse running with a biosql database but i'm having
problems.

Here's what i'm working with:
GBrowse 1.64
Mysql database with fresh biosql-schema
bioperl 1.5.1 (CVS bioperl-live)
Perl 5.8.1
Mac OS X 10.3.9

At the moment, I can load in a web browser GBrowse db's that don't have
a Biosql schema just fine. When I try to load my BioSQL database in
Gbrowse I get the following in the web browser (printed with the nice
blue, red, and black flavored GBrowse font/format):

----
An internal error has occurred

Could not open database.
Can't locate object method "new" via package "Bio::DB::Das::BioSQL" at
/Library/Perl/5.8.1//darwin-thread-multi-2level/Bio/Graphics/Browser/Util.pm
line 185.
----

And the following in my apache error log:

----
GBROWSE VERSION MISMATCH:
GBrowse version 1.64 requires a compatible version of the Bio::Graphics
library.
You should either install BioPerl (the CVS live version) or reinstall
GBrowse,
which will patch Bio::Graphics to the latest version.
gbrowse: trying to reload config, cache must be stale at
/Library/Perl/5.8.1//darwin-thread-multi-2level/Bio/Graphics/Browser/Util.pm
line 172.
Can't locate object method "new" via package "Bio::DB::Das::BioSQL" at
/Library/Perl/5.8.1//darwin-thread-multi-2level/Bio/Graphics/Browser/Util.pm
line 185.
----

 From what I've read in the docs, bioperl 1.5.1 should be the proper
version to run with GBrowse 1.64. I also installed biosql and bioperl-db
fresh. What does the error "gbrowse: trying to reload config, cache must
be stale at" mean in relation to Util.pm? I've looked at the code in
Util.pm -- the error seems related to the database adaptor...

My gbrowse .conf file is identical to the 06.biosql.conf file except for
the first few lines (pasted below).
I used the load_seqdatabase.pl to load an abreviated version of
NC_004578.gbk (p. syrinage dc3000 from ncbi refseq) into the biosql db.

---
my test_biosq.conf

[GENERAL]
description = test_biosql