[BioSQL-l] Versioning of features

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Jul 2 17:44:21 UTC 2006

It should be straightforward. In essence you control it through the
source type which as you say is an ontology term.

You can for instance include the software version in the source term.
This is what I did for the BLAT-derived genome mappings in SymAtlas
(which runs on top of BioSQL). This wouldn't even necessitate to
'obsolete' a previous source term.

You'd only have to do that if you wanted to have the exact same name
for the source term, and have old and new 'version' term in the same
ontology. I probably wouldn't be in much favor of doing so because
then you don't have an explicit version anywhere. However, of course
if you include it into the name then if compared by name two source
types appear different even though they are effectively the same
(e.g., same algorithm), just different versions. You can take care of
that though by introducing 'parent' source (e.g. algorithm) terms
that would have the versioned ones as children.

Let me know if this doesn't help.

	-hilmar