[BioSQL-l] Re: ERD Creation

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Feb 15 15:05:20 EST 2005

None of them was even close, sadly.

There was three requirements though that I had that you may not care
about. First, I needed the tool to read in an existing model in DDL
(data definition language, i.e., CREATE blah, ALTER blah, etc) SQL and
then allow me to modify it. Second, I needed the tool to be able to
generate DDL from the modified model. Third, I needed the tool to
support Oracle with its generated DDL.

ERWin distinguishes between a logical model and a physical model. It
applies rules that you can configure when translating (or sync'ing)
between logical and physical model. For instance, my logical BioSQL
model follows the table naming convention known from the mysql/Pg
schemas and uses only standard SQL92 types, whereas the physical model
is for Oracle, applies prefixes to all table names to avoid name
clashes, and uses better-suited Oracle SQL types where applicable. The
physical model also defines indexes, whereas the logical model only
defines primary key column(s), foreign key relationships, and
alternative key column(s).

I found that feature very helpful while the schema was actively
undergoing changes; now it's so stable it's not that important anymore.

So, depending on what you're trying to do an open-source tool may be
sufficient. Just the last thing I wanted to do was to draw it up in
e.g. Dia, b/c that just gives you a lot of grief without much benefit
except the diagram.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org