[BioSQL-l] crc for sequences

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun May 23 18:21:39 EDT 2004

I added a column CRC to biosequence in our Oracle version which I'll
soon propagate to the repository. This column is meant to hold a CRC
for the sequence, which - if indexed - can be very handy to lookup
perfect matches to a query sequence, and also to find fully redundant
sequences.

This column is supported by bioperl-db as an optional column that can
be enabled/disabled by commenting/uncommenting a single line in the
object-relational definition in BaseDriver.pm.

If added to the mysql/Pg versions of the schema, it would be an
optional column (nullable) and therefore backwardly compatible as well
as compatible with other bio* bindings unless any of those bindings did
a SELECT * FROM biosequence WHERE blah.

Any comments or objections to me adding this column to the mysql/Pg
versions as well?

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org