[BioSQL-l] Re: HSQLDB support...

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Wed Oct 22 18:21:24 EDT 2003

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> Is HSQLDB the HyperSonic engine?

I believe it's the successor to the HyperSonic engine. See
http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

> Out of curiosity, it it good for any
> real use?

Depends on what you consider real use :-).

It provides an easy way to create unit tests for BioJava/BioSQL,
creating, manipulating and destroying small databases (and I've found
it extemely useful for tracking down and fixing bugs in the
BioJava/BioSQL binding).

Secondly, it makes it possible to develop self-contained,
cross-platform applications (e.g.: distribute an application
containing data in BioSQL database on a CD). I haven't had a chance to
actually do this yet for a BioJava application, but we (Reel Two) have
used HSQLDB for another unrelated application on a CD and it was fine.

However, I haven't tried loading large amounts of data into it. I
would imagine it is not the most efficient, but don't have any data to
back this up.

It may also be of limited use for non-java people (other than the fact
that it's probably a lot easier to use for individual users who don't
have administrative access to install "regular" databases on their
system).

> Also, Len, would you be willing to provide maintenance for the hsqldb
> schema upon schema changes or fixes?

Sure.

Cheers,
Len.