[BioSQL-l] Exploring data in database

Yves Bastide Yves.Bastide at irisa.fr
Thu Mar 27 16:56:28 EST 2003

Kris Boulez wrote:
> Quoting Hilmar Lapp (hlapp at gnf.org):
[...]
>>1) Scrap MySQL, use PostgreSQL or any other serious RDBMS that honors
>>the fact that there are (normalized) models and (denormalized) views.
>>

>  [ I do not want to start a flame war, just asking ]
>
>>From different sides I here good stuff about PostgreSQL. I've been using
> MySQL for years, just because it was there and did the job.
> Is there some documentation that describes the differences between MySQL
> and PostgreSQL ? I found multiple manuals on the web site, but I would
> rarther not have to wade through all these pages to find the
> syntax/concepts that make PostgreSQL special.

MySQL is a quick and robust DBMS, but which doesn't fullfill the needs
addressed by a real RDBMS.  Its SQL support is a joke; until recently,
its default table storage didn't allow for transactions or foreign keys;
   and it doesn't support views nor triggers.  (This is not construed as
an attack against MySQL: these deficiencies are known by its developers
and will be repared in the future.  But currently, MySQL is not in the
league.)

PostgreSQL also have many flaws, and would need some cool MySQL
abilities; but, for the most parts, it corresponds to what a DB guy or
gal expect.

> Kris,

yves