[BioSQL-l] Oracle support...

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Wed Jul 30 12:03:51 EDT 2003

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> This is old and does not apply anymore. There are too many differences
> between the RDBMSs, mysql is far too little expressive, and the
> transform script just gave too much grief. We concluded that the rate
> of change wouldn't be that high anymore so that it is easily affordable
> to have RDBMS versions decoupled.

OK, I guess the README should be updated then. Would you like me to
have a crack and send you a patch?

> > What exactly does the oracle schema do that is not satisfied by the
> > mysql-port schema? There must be a lot of extra functionality,

You did not answer this question, but I would like to know if I am
going to be caught out later on. What functionality am I missing out
on by using the simple mysql-port rather than the oracle schema?

> It won't be auto-generated though, and doesn't have to be.

Does that mean you think having a low-complexity alternative oracle
schema is worthwhile?

> > An alternative is to have a single sequence that is shared between all
> > tables, it's no big deal. The oracle schema had several sequences, and
> > I couldn't see how to determine which sequence was the correct one to
> > query.
> >

> I have them aliased to provide virtual table-specific sequences. Check
> out BS-create-Biosql-API.sql.

Ahh, I see. So a compatible way to name the sequences in the
mysql-port schema is to use tablename + "_pk_seq" (with some of them
possibly being just aliases rather than actual sequences). Then my
OracleDBHelper BioJava code should also work with the full oracle
schema.

Cheers,
Len.