[BioSQL-l] Re: [Volunteer] I would like to get involved...

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Jul 29 13:58:02 EDT 2003

Jim,

I'm the lead developer on biosql. I'm cc'ing the biosql list just in
case someone has a better suggestion right away.

How do Chris' comments sound to you? There is no BioSQL for Oracle
How-To yet, just a rough installation and instantiation guide that I
hacked together a while ago. We've just had a post where somebody would
have greatly benefitted from a more extensive documentation of the
Oracle version.

Although MySQL is probably the main platform most biosql-users will
use, I know that a fair number of people also run it on Postgres. The
shop I'm with is an Oracle shop, so that is the platform I myself
mostly work with. If you check out the repository and look into the
stuff under sql/biosql-ora, you'll find some things that are probably
9i specific, but you may be able to cut those things out to get it
instantiated under 8i. We could then document what needs to be changed
for 8i.

As for perl, I'm also the lead developer on bioperl-db, which is the
perl language binding for biosql. It establishes persistence for
bioperl objects to/from a biosql schema. It's an OR mapper essentially,
and so it's no surprise that it's become a fairly complex piece of
code. There is a fair number of things to be done for bioperl-db,
ranging from documentation to actual code. Just let me know what you
want to get yourself into.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org