[BioSQL-l] The taxon table

Greg Tyrelle greg at tyrelle.net
Wed Jul 2 12:22:10 EDT 2003

*** Yves Bastide wrote:
  |Er, I said postgresql specific :)

Sorry, I meant porting it to mysql :)

  |Put at <http://www.irisa.fr/symbiose/people/bastide/load_tax.py> anyway;
  |you're welcome to use it.

Thanks.

  |>Also is taxonomy optional in BioSQL or will any fresh install of
  |>BioSQL need to load the ncbi taxonomy data by default ?
  |
  |The taxonomy is optional; furthermore, species can be added at will
  |using e.g. biosql-pg's persistence.

Cool, I can't say I understand postgresql persistence but I'll check
it out.

Currently the BioSQL modules in biopython seem to add new taxa
id from genbank records, I was wondering how the new biosql taxon
tables will effect this if the ncbi taxonomy database is not preloaded ?

Does that make sense or should I be asking this on the biopython lists ?

_greg