[BioSQL-l] Re: Biosql-ora

Jansen E Lim Jansen.Lim at bms.com
Tue Jan 28 16:17:56 EST 2003

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> The Oracle version of the schema in biosql is out-dated. I need to
> update it. bioperl-db works well with the (current :) version of the
> Oracle schema, that's what we use here internally.

Yes. Please, please update the Oracle version. :)

> I promise to update this by tonight (PST :). Sorry about that. You're
> the first one asking for the Oracle version. Let me know if you are
> serious about using it, and I'll consider moving the native repository
> into biosql-schema (as opposed to an import, which it is now).

Yes. I'm quite serious about the Oracle version. We're really an Oracle shop
here
but I thought I'd do the PostgreSQL version first (under duress, of course)
at the
suggestion of a PostgreSQL user.

> Also, I
> have constrained the Oracle version pretty rigorously, which wasn't
> appropriate in all places. I.e., sometimes I have to relax column
> widths etc to accommodate input data, and you will want to be made
> aware of such changes if they happen and if you run it seriously. That
> is, I'd post that to the list then too.
>
> On another note, the Oracle version adds some considerable
> sophistication on the database server end. It comes with a complete
> PL/SQL API, materialized views for fast name lookup and genome mapping,
> and with context indexes. Even though it may all run on Oracle 8i, I
> can't guarantee. I develop on 9i. For utilizing the additional
> features, it will help if you're somewhat familiar with Oracle.

Great.  We have 8.1.7.4 and 9i release 2 to work with.  This will really be
helpful.
I prefer working with Oracle since that's the platform I've been using for
nine years.  I
also wanted to compare the loading speed vs Pg.