[BioSQL-l] biosql on sybase?

jack van handenhove jvhan at pandora.be
Tue Dec 9 15:32:26 EST 2003

Dear All,

I am currently investigating the use of bioperl and underlying biosql database to build a repository of genetic data.

as the inhouse database system is sybase, the biosql-db modules should be adapted for use with this system.

could you give an estimation of the amount of work that would be involved in porting these modules to sybase? And what exactly should be done. Which scripts should be adapted? is there only Perl scripts involved or also C?

besides that, the schema should also be migrated, although I do not see a lot of difficulties there. As the schema is stable, it seems like choosing the correct datatypes that correspond to those used in the existing schema. Unless the Oracle schema, which would serve as the model, implements a lot of triggers an stored procedures?

Please know that I am a programmer with moderate perl experience.

Are there other modules besides bioperl-db, that should be ported?

thanks for your reply,
Jack