[BioSQL-l] Seqfeature_Source

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:05:18 -0700

That's true. If it were an ontology_term (the source term itself), it would be normalized too.

<snip>

> <change_of_subject />
>
> Thinking a bit more generally about your changes to BioSQL, and issues
> you discussed at BOSC, I've noticed some overlap with the ways we're
> talking about handling annotated sequence in BioJava2.  The basic plan
> is to separate features (which might be genes, or other objects) from
> their mappings onto sequences.  All the type information, and
> most (all)
> of the key-value stuff (which will hopefully be more strongly
> constrained
> by the type system) goes onto the FeatureCard, while the
> FeatureMapping
> stays very simple.  It allows you to build a system which gives
> equal weight to `gene-centric' and `sequence-centric' views of
> your annotation (unlike BioJava1, which turns out very strongly
> sequence-centric).

This sounds very interesting. Dave, hear this? That's what we want isn't it?

> I don't know if there's any enthusiasm at all for building this
> kind of pattern into the next generation of BioSQL.

Why not? But then I'm saying this without having seen what you guys dream of ...

OK, so you're saying I should resume my biojava-l subscription?

	-hilmar