[BioSQL-l] trouble cramming genbank

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:34:44 -0800

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 08:42 PM, Elia Stupka wrote:

> Basically it seems to me we tend to sweat on what to store, and once
> things are stored we want to fetch them and do not much else with them.
> FKs,etc. and prevention of orphans,etc. are good for general
> cleanliness,
> and they are very good in a database that gets actively updated,
> modified,etc. but that doesn't usually happen with biosql, we tend
> to load
> things up, use them and at some point throw them away.

Depends on your use case ... We will want to do a lot more here, and
lot of it from sql ...

> So far in-house we are still on the good old branch I am wondering
> whether
> we should think about keeping a lighter non-FK rich version for
> quick-rough access?

The FKs don't slow down look-up. Disabling them temporarily is just
an option to manually speed up bulk loads and needs to be documented
at some point for those users who want to load 20 Mio records over
night.

My DEM 0.02 on this (yeah invalid pennies :-)

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org