[BioRuby] [ANN] SequenceServer 1.0

Anurag Priyam anurag08priyam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:10:01 UTC 2015

Hey all,

SequenceServer is a simple to setup and intuitive to use local BLAST server
(sequenceserver.com). We had previously announced it on the BioRuby ML back
in 2011[1]. SequenceServer was in it's infancy then.

Today we are pleased to announce 1.0 release of SequenceServer. We have
kept the interface minimal and strived to make searching intuitive and
BLAST output readable and easy to follow.

- Drag n drop FASTA files in the browser window to BLAST.
- Overview of results per query in graphical and tabular format.
- View sequence and download FASTA of a single hit, selected hits, or all
hits (upto 30 hits - technical limitation).
- Download results in XML and tabular (TSV) format for downstream analysis.
- Add custom links for hits.

To install/update:

  $ gem install sequenceserver

Configuring SequenceServer to work with your FASTA files / BLAST+ databases
is a breeze. Just run

  $ sequenceserver

And it will guide you through a quick setup process.

- Can automatically download BLAST+ binaries.
- Itself asks for the location of FASTA files (or BLAST+ databases) and
saves the path for further use.
- Offers to create BLAST+ databases from FASTA files.
- Intelligently suggests title when creating BLAST+ databases.

We hope you enjoy using SequenceServer. We will continue to improve
SequenceServer with bug fixes and new features through upcoming releases.
Stay tuned! Spread the awesomeness! And write to us how we can improve!

[1]: http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioruby/2011-June/004346.html

-- Priyam