[BioRuby] Google Summer of Code 2015, call for project idea and mentors.

Raoul J P Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Mon Feb 16 16:17:40 UTC 2015

Hi All

We have LESS than a week to submit the application for the Google Summer
of Code 2015, and complete the application.

      20 February:

      19:00 UTC

      Mentoring organization application deadline.

      23 - 27 February:

      Google program administrators review organization applications.

      2 March:

      19:00 UTC

      List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the /Google
      Summer of Code/ 2015 site.

OBF is going to apply to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of
Code 2015. To make the ideas list more digestible for Google's reviewers,
we consolidated all of the Bio* projects' ideas into a single page on the
OBF wiki:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015_Ideas

Me (Raoul J.P. Bonnal) and Francesco Strozzi are the OrgAdmin, thanks to
the OBF Board.

We encourage each mentor of an affiliated sub-project to fill in/add
project
to the above page. Please report directly to me(bonnal at ingm.org) your
availability as a mentor
for this year. Student from past years can mentor and propose an idea,
if supported by
their community.

Any other communication related to OBF and GSoC must use
gsoc at mailman.open-bio.org <mailto:gsoc at mailman.open-bio.org>

Last year we introduced the Cross Projects, i.e.
those involving two or more programming languages or Bio* project
communities and/or can be useful to many languages
( web APIs reusable from any language ). The first 2015 cross project
is http://www.nextflow.io/ and you can find the proposal here:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015_Ideas#Cross-project_ideas

This page is the one we listed in our application. It is separate from the
OBF wiki page for general GSoC information:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

If OBF is accepted for GSoC 2015, it would make sense to point each Bio*
project's GSoC wiki page to this one, instead of duplicating the content.

As another way to interact with potential students, we've created a Google
Plus page for OBF:
https://plus.google.com/115564754756543103019/posts

And a G+ community for OBF's GSoC activities:
https://plus.google.com/communities/103096212020630764091

Feel free to forward this message to your colleagues or other possible
orgs that want to join us.

Thanks to Eric Talevich, the GSoC 2014 main OrgAdmin, he did a great
work and provide a lot of docs and useful hints.

Best regards,
Raoul & Francesco
OBF GSoC 2015 Org Admins