[BioRuby] [Biopython-dev] JSON format for sequence data

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:46:58 UTC 2015

Hi Lior,

As with XML, there are infinitely many ways to structure your data
and store it in JSON. The problem is social (agreeing a standard)
rather than particularly technical.

I can think of one precedent with sequence data, TogoWS offers
JSON versions of various database entries,

http://togows.dbcls.jp/

e.g. Here's a UniProt entry as the original flat file or as JSON:

http://togows.org/entry/ebi-uniprot/A1AG1_HUMAN
http://togows.org/entry/ebi-uniprot/A1AG1_HUMAN.json

Or, an NCBI record in GenBank format and as JSON:

http://togows.org/entry/ncbi-nucleotide/J00231
http://togows.org/entry/ncbi-nucleotide/J00231.json

I presume this JSON model reflects the BioRuby object model,
CC'ing the BioRuby mailing list.

Peter