[BioRuby] biogem upgrade and simplification?

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Thu Aug 20 09:19:48 UTC 2015

Hi Pjotr,

I agree that biogem needs to be simplified and certainly we should drop jeweler.
For long time Jeweler had some incompatibilities that we fixed manually using meta programming. The initial idea was to implement a lot of facilities for the users but maybe those are not needed anymore.

If you want to use a temple schema an option would be to have a github repository and write a “biogem” tool which is a simple tool that clones the repo and configure the templates accordingly.

Which is the current state of GUIX plus Ruby and its native libraries  ?
I would like to have a way to decides if I want to go with the traditional Gemfile or the GUIX version; maybe in the future we can switch to GUIX as the default packaging system.

we can still use the biogem repo  on github, create a new branch and rewrite the whole code base, actually I do not like versions in the tools names.

Ra