[BioRuby] Ruby installation

Gianluca Della Vedova gianluca at dellavedova.org
Thu May 1 19:01:17 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 at 08:31, Pjotr Prins wrote:

>So we are proposing that newbies use a VM, instead of building from
>source? Sorry guys, but that solution does not work for my 'newbie'
>use case. We are still offering expert advice here to experts. The
>main downside of a VM is that you need to teach someone to use a
>second environment.

I agree with you that VMs are not ok if the audience is not skilled
enough. There is also a second problem: they usually have to leave the
VM at the lab, so they cannot bring the new environment (and the
customization they have accumulated) at home or work.
Will they be able to replicate everything they have practiced? I doubt
so.

Pjotr, you are right that deployment is a problem, especially with ruby.
The solution is not easy, and I am very interested into developing a
suitable solution for newbies.

>When I give the instruction:
>
>  apt-get install ruby
>  gem install bioruby-table
>
>it should just work out of the box. Anywhere.

Yes. If it doesn't work it's a serious bug, and we should pester (and
help) the maintainers.

>I am actually looking at GNU GUIX
>
>  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6891214
>
>which, as it happens, works great in Docker too. The future should look
>
>  apt-get install guix
>  guix install ruby
>  gem install bioruby-table

I don't think so (TM) :-)
3 different tools to cover more-or-less the same needs are too many.
I would very much prefer a future with 1 or 2 of those tools. Do you
think that nix/guix could easily replace gem/pip/cabal? That would be
something that could take traction.