[BioRuby] Fighting for the people behind research software

Yannick Wurm y.wurm at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 22:14:32 UTC 2014

## Apologies - what follows is a generic message - but is likely relevant to some of your work ##

Hello,

Research Software Engineers are the people who develop software in academia: the ones who write code, but not papers. The Software Sustainability Institute (a group of which I am a Fellow) believes that Research Software Engineers lack the recognition and reward they deserve for their contribution to research. A campaign website - with more information - launched last week:

http://www.rse.ac.uk

The campaign has had some early successes and has been generating publicity for the cause, but nothing will change unless the Institute can show that a significant number of Research Software Engineers exist. Hence this email. If you agree with the issues and objectives on the website (see the URL above), please sign up to the mailing list. And if you have any ideas on how to get in contact with more Research Software Engineers, please let me know.

Regards,

Yannick

Yannick Wurm - http://yannick.poulet.org
Ants, Genomes & Evolution ⋅ y.wurm at qmul.ac.uk ⋅ skype:yannickwurm ⋅ +44 207 882 3049
5.03A Fogg ⋅ School of Biological & Chemical Sciences ⋅ Queen Mary, University of London ⋅ Mile End Road ⋅ E1 4NS London ⋅ UK