[BioRuby] EU OBF Codefest - September 18th and 19th 2014 @ EBI - Hinxton UK

Francesco Strozzi francesco.strozzi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 08:46:15 UTC 2014

Dear all,
apologies if you receive this multiple times.

We are glad to announce that we are organising the European edition of
the OBF Codefest, which will take place on September 18th and 19th at
the EBI in Hinxton, UK. This is the second OBF Codefest this year, the
first was held this month in Boston just before the BOSC and ISMB
conferences and in September we will have the chance to expand and
carry on the work and discussions started in July in the USA.

The EU Codefest will precede the Genome
Informatics Conference in Cambridge, so we hope that developers
attending the main conference will be also interested in joining us
for a couple of days of coding and discussions on collaborative
projects and new ideas. The main topics that were proposed so far are:

* The OpenBio projects development (BioPerl, BioPython, BioRuby, BioJava)
* Semantic web technologies for biological data (e.g. RDF, OWL)
* Software deployment and bioinformatics pipelines, including
CloudBiolinux, Docker and GNU GUIX
* NoSQL databases and NGS data mining
* Biological data visualisation with e.g. D3/JS and BioJS.

We of course invite attendees to add other topics of interest.

For more information, you can visit the OBF Wiki page, which includes
also information on accommodation and registration:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/EU-Codefest_2014
If you plan to attend, please use the link in the registration section
and complete the simple steps on the EBI website, so that
we can be aware of the total number of attendees and arrange the
organisation accordingly. Registration is also completely free.

We will be grateful if you could also share this announce over your
network and social media, this will help spreading the word.

Thanks and we hope to see many of you in September!

Francesco Strozzi
James Malone
Raoul Bonnal
Pjotr Prins