[BioRuby] Bio::Commandeer

Ben Woodcroft donttrustben at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 07:57:09 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I just released the bio-commandeer biogem, which I thought might be of
somewhat general interest. Basically, it allows one to quickly run shell
commands from within Ruby, without having to worry so much about things
going wrong:

require 'bio-commandeer'
Bio::Commandeer.run 'echo 5' #=> '"5\n"
Bio::Commandeer.run 'cat /fail' #=> raises informative Exception

I hope that it might save others some typing. I'm finding it particularly
useful in glue type one-off scripts where in the past I'd be tempted not to
check that the commands returned successfully, out of laziness.

ben

Ben Woodcroft
http://ecogenomic.org/users/ben-woodcroft <http://www.ecogenomic.org/>