[BioRuby] biogems.info

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Dec 30 10:46:15 UTC 2013

Hi Rubyistas!

Thanks to Adam Stankiewicz the biogems.info site has been upgraded to
use Middleman for static site generation. Middleman has some nice
features. Thanks Adam!

And Adam has promised to do something about the look&feel of the site.

This means we can start fixing and upgrading the site again. There are
a few outstanding issues. Most notable is that rubygems.info stopped
publishing 90day download stats (API discontinued?) which causes the
arrow confusion on the left. I'll fix that in the coming days.

Other issues are listed on github. Feel free to help.

  https://github.com/pjotrp/biogems.info/issues?state=open

the source code is there too.

As an update on programming languages, I don't know how you are
feeling about Ruby and Bioinformatics these days, but I am still using
Ruby for most of my work. Over the last years I also did projects in
Python, Coffeescript, C, Erlang, Scala and D. None of which I
particularly avoid - but I do avoid R, Perl, Java and C++!  Ruby is
still what I am most productive in, even if hardly using OOP and
metaprogramming (or maybe because!). Oh, I also avoid Rails, that is
why we have Middleman.

D is my choice when it comes to (big data) performance. D is on the
increase. But Ruby is still my pony. Ruby is nice. I love my pony :)

Happy NY to you all, and keep writing new biogems, we we may collect
them into a publication in 2015.