[BioRuby] [GSoC] weekly report #9

Artem Tarasov lomereiter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:38:22 UTC 2012

Firstly, I wouldn't call that a killer feature. On Un*x you should be able
to use /dev/stdin and /dev/stdout (or a named pipe) as input/output
filenames, that's the way people pipe Picard tools.

Many Un*x tools (including samtools) facilitate that by using dash as a
shortcut for stdin/stdout, but this is not a requirement.

Clearly, STDIN can't be used for random access, and some parts of my code
currently rely on assumption that input stream is seekable. I should make
that optional, and then named pipes can be used as input.