[BioRuby] Beautiful code for Bioinformatics

Mic mictadlo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:22:03 UTC 2012

Hi all
D currently has some problems, because many projects
http://www.dsource.org/projects/ are no any more in active developed. The
other problem is that Tango has also stooped. On other hand it sounds good,
because you can access C, C++ and it is native language. Therefore it
should uses less memory compare to Java eg.
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/10376/how-to-efficiently-parse-a-huge-fastq-file
.

The Qt people think that they have removed all pitfalls in C++. Whether is
true or not and how efficient the code with Qt is I do not know.

I worked with Scala for a while, but I have found the language quite
difficult to learn and also other people complain about it too. The other
problem with Scala is that it is not possible to copy a little Java code in
to Scala.

Then I discover Groovy a very similar language to Ruby and easier to learn
compare to Scala. The advantage of Groovy is that it is possible to copy
Java code without to modefing it to Groovy. I have not tried out Groovy++
which is as fast as Java. Unfortunately, I run few month back with Groovy
in to problems see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-4851.

Other Ruby like static language which I discover is
http://www.mirah.org/wiki/MirahFeatures .

Cheers,