[BioRuby] My proper GSoC introduction

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Thu Feb 16 11:42:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:33:49AM +0000, Peter Cock wrote:
> We'd want Brad involved for Biopython + GFF

Good point.

> but it certainly sounds like an interesting project. The D
> dependency might make for some interesting build dependencies, but
> that is a different matter.

D2 is getting to be part of standard distro's (Fedora, Debian). For
Windows binary DLL's can be distributed. So, that covers much of the
community. Only OSX loses out again, but then Apple still ships Ruby
1.8.7!

So, for the FFI, one needs to build the interface using a
pre-installed D compiler. Not too bad. If people want that speed...

For the GSoC task I don't think the deployment problem is too much of
a concern.  But we do want a working library. I actually started on
that parser, last year at BOSC. But somehow there is too much on my
plate :/