[BioRuby] My proper GSoC introduction

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Thu Feb 16 11:00:54 UTC 2012

Hi Marjan,

Thanks for the intro.

Looks to me we ought to set you a right challenge :). With you in mind
we are going to propose to write the worlds fastest GFF3/GTF parser
using parallel D actors, and provide bindings for Ruby (and later
Python). The parser ought to iterate through the data files, possibly
handling information back through a simple filter.

How does that sound? Parsing GFF3/GTF in seconds, rather than hours.

Would be a true open-bio Bio* project. Peter, you like this?

Pj.