[BioRuby] GSoC participation without biology knowledge?

Marjan Povolni marian.povolny at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:53:13 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm a prospective GSoC student and would like to ask a short question
before properly introducing myself on the mailing list.

I have no knowledge about biology whatsoever. Would I be able to contribute
to the bioruby project anyway? From the project list, the following project
seems to be a fit: "Support Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) in BioRuby". I
do have experience with Bash, Linux and Rails, but like I said, I don't
have any experience related to biology beyond primary school.

However, I'm looking into ways to enter the field and this would be a great
starting point, if possible, of course.

Thx,
Marjan