[BioRuby] Google Summer of Code project ideas

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Tue Feb 14 11:35:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 08:22:59PM +0900, Naohisa GOTO wrote:
> I think "Restyling BioRuby.org" is very difficult for
> Google Summer of Code 2012 because the FAQ says that
> documentation-only work cannot be accepted.
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#documentation
> >> 12. Are proposals for documentation work eligible for Google Summer of Code?
> >>
> >> While we greatly appreciate the value of documentation, this program is an exercise in developing code; we can't accept proposals for documentation-only work at this time.

Depends on the programming component. If we use staticmatic and HAML
to generate the site, with coffeescript to interact with github and
others, I think it becomes a very interesting programming job.

Also the 'documentation' could consist of real example scripts, which
execute. Possibly showing results online. I don't think students
should be documenting, but they can put software together to make
creating tutorials easier.

I realize bioruby.org needs to be static, but it does not mean we can
not host other services elsewhere, and even use Ruby on Rails.

GSoC students are supposed to learn to program and to contribute to
the main project. That is the key. If a project aims to achieve that,
it can be part of GSoC. Restyling the Bioruby.org goes much deeper
than documentation, in my opinion.