[BioRuby] [GSoC] Final GSoC report

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Wed Aug 22 10:43:52 UTC 2012

Yes, linking to D from an interpreted language is not hard, basically
it is the same calling convention as that of C. So a D shared library
looks the same as a C shared library to the calling code - all
existing foreign function interfaces (FFI) work. That is the good
news.

The bad news, as Artem points out, is that there is a problem in the
D garbage collector. Items get collected, which should not. This will
be fixed sooner or later. The commitment is there, and it is moving
up the priority list.

For us it did not matter, as the parsers and tools happily run on
their own using a command line interface, without much overhead.
One advantage, from my perspective, is that we are not tied to Ruby,
at this point, and the tools can be hosted in Galaxy. Another
advantage, perhaps, is that we have not been side-tracked in
providing rich library interfaces. That appeals to my purist side.

Writing FFI bindings later is not a problem.

Pj.