[BioRuby] Calling Java from Ruby

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Tue Apr 24 14:18:35 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:41:21AM -0400, Michael Barton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Great to hear from you again!

> I had a question about using Java from Ruby, specifically
> packaging up Java code in a gem. Has anyone tried this? What
> is the best way of going about this? Compile the Java files
> at install time or include a precompiled .jar with the gem?
>
> I'm considering mixing some clojure code into a ruby gem.

I don't see technical issues. It should be possible to include a jar.
Or provide a jar together with a gem.  Best is probably to ask on the
JRuby mailing list - there must be people thinking about or doing it.

Make sure to publish it as a bio-gem! At least, if you want people to
find it.