[BioRuby] Nightly build testing, was: Broken link on wiki installation page

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Thu Sep 22 13:48:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:31:19PM +0100, Peter Cock wrote:
> "However, a project that packages several independently-developed
> utilities into a single binary for users to download is more difficult,
> as Buildbot does not have a means to represent the multiple
> revisions from multiple repositories that must be used to make
> up the single binary. For simple cases (e.g,. always building the
> latest version), this can be made to work, but more complex cases
> are still a work in progress."
>
> It sounds like the best we can hope for using BuildBot is to
> track a core BioRuby repository, but for the BioRuby Gems
> we'd just be able to test the latest version. That would still be
> better than nothing, but you wouldn't be able to easily work
> out which revision of a Gem caused a problem for example.

bio-core and bio-core-ext are versioned and have *versioned*
dependencies. I.e. each included gem has a fixed version. That is
exactly what we want, so we can support users.  You don't want every
user to have different combinations of gems. No way we can
troubleshoot the latter!

This way we can also pull the consistent case for testing through
buildbot!  That is we test current releases of bioruby and two
meta-packages - just need a script to unpack them and run the tests.

For biogems individually we can test the last revision on the master
branch of each github repo. Which is a good thing too, because that is
what users resort to, if the meta-gem is not up-to-date enough.
Obviously, we don't *support* that. It is a risk the user is taking.
Any issues he'll have to resolve with the maintainer of the gem.