[BioRuby] [Open-bio Board] Buildbot on testing.open-bio.org

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:23:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 09:01:40PM +0000, Peter Cock wrote:
>> Have you decided which versions of Ruby should be tested?
>> For example, do you just need two targets, 1.8.x and 1.9.x?
>
> My feeling is that 1.9 is relevant for default testing. In the wild
> there may be versions running 1.8 - and if someone feels like it,
> they can set up the buildbot too. Right?

Yes, but we need to know the planned matrix to setup the server.
So both Ruby 1.8.x and Ruby 1.9.x as two targets then, potentially
on the usual Windows 32 bit, Linux 32bit, Linux 64bit and Mac OS X?
So that could be 8 targets.

> It is more important to test plugins. Raoul and I will set that up,
> as soon as we grasp the infrastructure.

Right, we hear you. Essentially that will require knowing the
commands to call. Right now we have (roughly - Tiago can
correct me) the following to do an in-situ test (no installation):

(1) Get BioRuby from github (usually the latest, but you can
ask for a specific revision via the buildbot web interface)
(2) Run: ruby test/runner.rb (or similar)

If it possible to have Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 installed at the same
time, is there a convention for calling them? I'd guess ruby1.8
and ruby1.9 if the same style as Python is used. Then we'd
have two versions of the above:

(1) Get BioRuby from github
(2) Run: ruby1.8 test/runner.rb (or similar)

or,

(1) Get BioRuby from github
(2) Run: ruby1.9 test/runner.rb (or similar)

The server configuration tells it which "recipe" to call on
which slaves, so if one machine only has Ruby 1.9, it will
not be asked to test on Ruby 1.8.

We may also need slight variants for Windows vs Linux
vs Mac.

So what we'll need is an extended recipe which also gets the
appropriate gem versions for that revision, and tests them.
This could be a shell script, but if given as a list of commands
you can see the progress, output and success/failure of each
on the buildbot web interface.

Peter