[BioRuby] Bio::Sequence and Bio::Sequence::NA

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Tue May 17 01:33:41 UTC 2011

Hi Anthony,

Bio::Sequence is a generic container class for a sequence with features which was
introduced relatively recently for interconversion of Bio::GenBank, Bio::EMBL and
Bio::SQL sequence objects (and it also provides common APIs for those seq objects).

Bio::Sequence#na or #auto method extract a sequence from a Bio::Sequence object, so
you should use another variable to store (instead of overriding the object reference).

> biosequence = biosequence.auto

seq = biosequence.auto

so that you can still access to biosequence.features.

% bioruby
bioruby> embl = Bio::EMBL.new(open("http://togows.dbcls.jp/entry/embl/J00231").read)
bioruby> embl.class
  ==> Bio::EMBL
bioruby> embl_bioseq = embl.to_biosequence
bioruby> embl_bioseq.class
  ==> Bio::Sequence
bioruby> embl_seq = embl_bioseq.auto
bioruby> embl_seq.class