[BioRuby] Interesting BLAST 2.2.25+ XML behaviour

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue May 3 09:24:08 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I've CC'd the BioPerl, BioRuby, BioJava and Biopython development mailing
lists to make sure you're aware of this, but can we continue any discussion
on the cross-project open-bio-l mailing list please?

I noticed that recent versions of BLAST are not using a single <iteration>
block for each query, which was the historical behaviour and assumed
by the Biopython BLAST XML parser. This may be a bug in BLAST.
See link below for an example.

Has anyone else noticed this, and has it been reported to the NCBI yet?

Thanks,

Peter

(Not for the first time, I wish there was a public bug tracker for BLAST,
or at least a private bug tracker so we could talk about issues with an
NCBI assigned reference number.)