[BioRuby] bio-logger release 0.9.0

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Jan 17 08:47:05 UTC 2011

Just released bio-logger 0.9.0. Most important feature I added is that
you can inject a filter on log messages (by module). I.e. for the
blast logger you could only show messages relating to a contig:

   log = LoggerPlus['blast']
   log.filter { | level, sub_level, msg | msg =~ /contig1133/ }

on the command line you can do the same with:

   --trace "blast:= msg =~ /contig1133/"

another option is to filter on level and sub_level values:

   log.filter { | level, sub_level, msg | sub_level == 3 or level <= ERROR }

providing lots of possibilities. Obviously much of this can be
handled (multi)grep'ing log files, but the power of using Ruby and
filter combinations makes at a great feature for debugging big data
problems. And you can limit the size of log files, without limiting
expressive power.