[BioRuby] SRA downloader

Raoul Bonnal bonnalraoul at ingm.it
Fri Feb 18 11:14:47 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

On 15/feb/2011, at 15.57, Chris Fields wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2011, at 7:45 AM, Raoul Bonnal wrote:
>
>> If more providers will switch to Aspera, there is a developer kit SDK http://www.asperasoft.com/en/products/fasp_SDK_9/fasp_SDK_9 that could be interesting to support.
>>
>> Today I tested the download speed and it performs very well compared to normal ftp.
>>
>> --
>> Ra
>
> A bit confused on this last part. If we're talking about a simple ftp-like resource to pull data from then I would suggest biotorrents, which is specifically developed for handling large datasets.

My point was, NCBI and EBI use Aspera, which has a proprietary way to transfer file, you need their client for a fast download... but don't care about that I don't like that approach.

Why are they not using torrents ? Which is the sense of biotorrent ? Just share "personal" data or replicate/mirroring other databases ?

I must admit that I need just some SRA file for testing tools. I don't think I will download many sra data in the near future, I can wait 50mins using regular ftp.

It was more, which is your feeling with sra and your experience.

--
Ra