[BioRuby] GSoC - project "Represent bio-objects and related information with images"

Michał Koziarski michalkoziarski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:39:25 UTC 2011

2011/4/6 Raoul Bonnal <bonnal at ingm.org>

>  Hi Michal,
> the time line is more detailed now.
> As Francesco suggested and also reported on our page we suggest RubyVis
> library, Claudio the coder of the binding offers his help and this is a very
> good news for us.
>
> Week 9: what do you mean for browsing images in shell ? I can't grasp the
> benefit now, but we can discuss. The main problem is how to control the
> application which displays  the image; for web browsers there are techniques
> but are not so easy.

I'm just thinking to an add-on for this week: if we have different types of
> data that we can display quite easily on the web(done in the previous weeks)
> , why not spending this time to enrich the images with controls (bars, check
> boxes, interaction in general). This part requires a skill in javascript.
> http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/cartogram-full.html
> Or another interesting feature would be: adding layers of information to
> the standard image.
> Note: perhaps these ideas are a bit complicate for 1 week but it would be
> interesting to evaluate the feasibility.

I thought about whether to implement that shell browser or work on images
enrichment, and I am quite confused. Generally, I would agree that your idea
seems to be better, but right now I can't come up with specific ways of
enriching them. I guess it should be more obvious once images itself are
created, but then there may be not enough time to implement everything.

> I forgot to mention, in some case I think that if there are web services
> which produce images that services could be used. Consider the possibility
> to display Venn diagrams Google has one service
> http://code.google.com/intl/it-IT/apis/chart/docs/gallery/venn_charts.htmlor another one is
> http://bioinfogp.cnb.csic.es/tools/venny/index.html.
> Sets are a kind of data type that in my daily work I have to display with a
> high frequency, specially when the boss needs to make reports :-)
>
> So we arrived to the which bioruby objects we want to display. This is a
> quite complex question because some are there and other are not.
> This library as been always sequence/feature centric (please correct me if
> I'm wrong), because we were used to demand to R tasks more statistics.
> Main areas are
> * NGS: display create coverage alignemnt for a region with the possible
> annotation that are accessible from bioruby
> * Matrix: display heatmaps, scatter plots, bars ( I wrote a very alpha lib
> for handling real time PCR  and gene expression datasets -not images-)

Is that lib public now? And if so, could you provide me with repo url?

> * Sets: a seq could be generated from any kind of analysis, enrichment,
> annotation, reports
>  ** reports could be meta-objects for instance the results of an allignment
> or mapping or gene quantification when you need to compare multiple
> populations or technical replicates
> * Phylo (i'm not an expert)

That seems to be the most complicated one of those to visualize (or am I
wrong?), it would be great to hear some specifics.

Out of those, I think that Matrix would be a good place to start. They could
be generated only with Rubyvis, and as I believe are used quite often. Would
you agree?