[BioRuby] GSoC - project "Represent bio-objects and related information with images"

Francesco Strozzi francesco.strozzi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 19:02:56 UTC 2011

Hi all,

2011/4/6 Christian Zmasek <cmzmasek at yahoo.com>

> Hi, Michał:
>
> You timeline is much better now!
>
> I put some comments/question into your text (see below).
>

> >     Week 1:
> >     Goal: choose one  representative type of BioRuby object and develop
> class
> > that would convert  its data to proposed format. That should come along
> with
> > unit  tests.
>

> This is a good idea -- to deliver a proof of concept first!
>
> Did you think about how exactly the image(s) will be produced?
>
> Which library (if any) do you plan to use?
>

> Also do you plan to produce (interactive) graphics on the fly and/or create
> (static) image files (such as .png) to be viewed with other software?

If I can suggest a couple of libraries that should be used for this project
I will say:

- BioGraphics for sequence/genomic features display
http://bio-graphics.rubyforge.org/
- Rubyvis for everything else (a great library and fits perfectly well for
web visulisation since it's producing SVG images)
http://rubyvis.rubyforge.org/

Cheers

--

Francesco