[BioRuby] GSoC - project "Represent bio-objects and related information with images"

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 6 18:22:25 UTC 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Michał Koziarski wrote:

> > Chris: could you explain why any coding at community bonding period would be hard? I assumed that a big part of it is getting familiar with documentation, and with that done before I would have some more time to code. Of course, it wouldn't be a full-time coding, but I thought that at this point I would have all the knowledge to start writing, so why not to. Maybe I am missing something, in that case tell me please.
>
> In general, little coding occurs during community bonding; the time is spent asking questions on the API, working out final priorities, details on the project, etc with the community (mentor in particular).  I'm not sure of your level of experience with BioRuby, but from my experience with BioPerl and past GSoC projects the codebase and API (and documentation, or lack thereof) can be daunting for a beginner.  So, mentioning that you will use that period to code b/c of time issues during the scheduled period is a bit premature in my opinion w/o more specifics, but that's really for the BioRuby folks to decide.
>
> I do understand your point. However, I didn't mean to spend less time on getting to know the codebase, I just wanted to start doing it earlier. Anyhow, maybe you have some suggestions about how to solve this time issue? It's a matter of coding for one month for about 30 hours a week.
>
> I based my proposition on something I read on one of GSoC suggestions page. But yes, you may be right that BioRuby is to big project for such a approach.

Actually I raised this issue on the GSoC mentors list, and the general consensus is that it is up to your specific organization (which in this case means that the OBF mentors, who would rely on the good instincts of the BioRuby mentors), as time isn't the only factor involved; experience, attainable project goals, benefits to the project in general, etc are also important.  So, if the BioRuby mentors don't have a problem with this, then I fine as well.

-c